The Black Company

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an SCA warband: An Tir's wolf pack

+2
Magnus
Derfail
6 posters

Company Device!

Derfail
    Derfail

Company Device! Empty Company Device!

Post  Derfail April 21st 2010, 4:42 am

post your ideas for a new device that we can get passed into heraldry!
    I like the idea of some type of horseshoe into it to represent us as skirmishers in the SCA!
    Magnus
    Magnus

Company Device! Empty Re: Company Device!

Post  Magnus April 21st 2010, 4:54 am

Maybe some how add in spears too because we are mainly a spear group unless we are going to leave some room for the company device to grow into possible other squads of the black company
    Derfail
    Derfail

Post  Derfail April 22nd 2010, 1:38 am

I feel leaving room for other units will be a good idea we have some personnel coming up that would be suited to other units and skill sets.
    Magnus
    Magnus

Post  Magnus April 23rd 2010, 12:26 am

Well i guess the question then is how many units or we planning to have and what rolls will they fill as well as what will here fighting styles be.
    But as a point we could still use the horse shoe thing because regardless we are trying to get away from the slow moving fights we all want to be mobile to some extent.
    What i would like to see is to have groups disciplined to a point to were we can react and move quickly while keeping our composure. So mobility is something i feel should be incorporated.
    Durin
    Durin

Company Device! Empty Bagdes

Post  Durin April 26th 2010, 5:05 pm

I see a simple wolf head for the wolf pack like the one used in the mech warroir game. With the design you all have for the war band it would be easy to place a devise in the center of the chain to make them into badges. For lack of a better example, they could be used like boy scout merit badges used to encourge and as recognition for company members hard work. If the iron pig loaner armour thing ever getts going, you all will have people trying to join the company. You can set up the wolf pack as the elite group of the company, something that only the few can be. Just my thoughts. Durin.
    Arabus
    Arabus

Post  Arabus April 29th 2010, 6:56 pm

I honestly like the idea of keeping the chain circle and using it as a ring around the squad devices. So far as our MAIN device, why not put a norse symbol for war inside of the circle? The founders were predominantly norse and norse subjected...
    Derfail
    Derfail

Post  Derfail April 29th 2010, 9:30 pm

All this is in preperatuion for the heralds we needed otyher ideas incase the chain circlet does not pass due to its possible resemblance to the chivalry. keep that in mind.
    Arabus
    Arabus

Post  Arabus May 3rd 2010, 5:27 pm

Unless we are going to become a household, then we don't send our heraldry in. War bands may be seen as permanent groups, but they are an unofficial thing in the SCA. Technically, we don't exsist. The members of the Black Company are just some people who by coincidence wind up fighting together alot. Even if our heraldry doesn't pass, nobody can tell us not to fly it.
    Derfail
    Derfail

Post  Derfail May 7th 2010, 8:22 pm

i think that it is important to have something that is functional and says something about our actual identity and who we want to be. the chain circlet is awkward on several different levels and we have come up against some limitations with it. it was very well intentioned however i dont think that is who we are anymore. just food for thought.
    Magnus
    Magnus

Post  Magnus May 9th 2010, 12:59 am

In my opinion is the chain stood for the people who started it and doesn't have any room to grow.
    I think we need to evolve and have a device that stands for the group as a whole a device that stands for Abe Alanna Lee Jamie and possibly Ki Morgan and others to come. I feel that the chain links really dont include them but this is my own belief.
    Arabus
    Arabus

Post  Arabus May 14th 2010, 7:17 pm

I always felt that the chain links represented the unity of the company as a whole. We stuck with six at the beginning because it was easy to draw and there were the six founders. I don't know about any one else, but I've never even considered anyone else not being as much a member as any of us just because there isn't a link on the chain SPECIFICALLY representing them.
    Arthmael
    Arthmael

Post  Arthmael June 14th 2010, 3:59 pm

Personally I would prefer to keep our chain linked circle. I'd prefer if, officially, we only referred to it as a "circle comprised of chain links" or ... "links of chain composed into a circle" or just "circle of chain links!" Without mention of the number of links actually used.

Because the number really isn't important so much as the symbolism and colors.

I understand the importance of having a few "backup plans" if our heraldry doesn't go through, but I haven't yet been a fan of any of the new ideas.
    alanna
    alanna

Post  alanna July 15th 2010, 4:58 am

Personally I like the idea of the linked chain. To me it symbolizes that the company started as a war band linked together as "brothers" or family. No matter how the company changes I believe that is the heart of what it wants to remain. Constantly bearing the symbol of that into battle with pride and honnor might help keep the company focused on that, instead of say, turning into a household run by the support and not the fighters. I agree with Keigan, the number of links isnt important unless we are trying to fit 20+ links onto new members taberds because thats when they got in.
    Oh fun idea: keep the 6 links, write in roman numerals what number member you are (if it starts to matter) then your personal symbol (or fighting group)in the circle. This idea only really comes into play when there are 9+ members

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 10:56 am